Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What???


So, every week, on the way home from church, I always ask Garrett about his primary lesson. He used to just blow me off and say (with complete attitude!) "we just talked about the same thing we talk about every week!" When I ask what that is...he responds "Jesus!" Like duh...don't you know that by now??? Too funny - though I usually tried to bring home the point that there are lots of things to talk about at church!


And then the past few weeks, when I ask him, all he says is "I don't really remember." Which only means that he can't remember every single thing to tell me, so he won't even try. I swear...I have never met a more detail-oriented little boy in my life! Now I tell him, and remind him each week that we're going to talk about his class afterwards, so he needs to remember some things to tell me.


So this week, we get home and Garrett starts talking about his class...his lesson...and all the stories that they had talked and songs that they sang in primary. He pulls out his paper that he's carefully brought home...usually adorned with a picture to go along with the lesson or something...but this time the paper holds nothing but the words, "No - Yes - Not Now." He shows it to me like it should make perfect sense and asks if I know that story???? Hmmmm....I'm desperately wracking my brain trying to think of any scripture story to go along with those three phrases, but sadly, I come up blank! He is utterly disappointed in me...and I can tell that he's basically thinking I'm a total heathen and haven't listened in church ever! I ask him to tell me the story, and he starts telling some random story about a boy who had lost some gold coins and said a prayer. Ahhhh...it's making more sense to me now...and while I didn't know the exact story, I managed to save face a little bit and start asking questions about the story that I knew would have been covered...like, "oh, so he lost his gold and then prayed for help? Why'd he do that? Were his prayers answered? Can your prayers be answered?" Aren't I smooth!?! I love being a mom sometimes..it definitely keeps you on your toes!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Now that is cute!!

buchanancasa said...

Too cute. I have to pry Eliza's news out of her, too. One way that works well is asking her, "What was the best thing that happened?" or "What was the worst?" It just gets her talking. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who's kid sometimes thinks I am not super bright!

Michelle said...

Cute story! I wish I could get that much info out of Colby. He just says they had treats and colored! :)