This weekend has been absolutely beautiful, after the rain of last week, and we decided to put our garden in. Well, at least some of it...I'm still trying to decide just how many tomato plants I can cram in our small space! :) I'm trying my hand at heirloom tomatoes this year...and I'm excited to see if they're any different than regular ones! They're supposed to taste fantastic...so we'll see how it goes! I really don't know how you can get any better than a fresh from the garden tomato anyway...so it will be interesting to compare with our little crop last year!I absolutely love planting a garden...keeping up with it is fun, but nothing beats actually planting all your plants and seeds!!! Steve kept laughing at me because I kept raking our little garden over and over...just because I LOVE the dark brown color of freshly turned dirt! I know, I'm a little weird, but I love it! Maybe I'd feel different if I had a HUGE garden to work in...but our little Houston-style raised bed garden keeps things on such a small scale that I am finding joy in all the little things! Lame, I know!!!
So, on the same note as gardening...my favorite this week is my herb garden. I love being able to just pop outside and pick a fresh sprig of whatever I need in the middle of making dinner! And honestly...so much better than dried herbs!!! Now that being said...my herb garden is nothing spectacular. It is only 2 longish planter boxes that I keep on my back porch, but I love it all the same! I do have to admit though...I left them outside during one of our freezes last month...and I'm still trying to nurse a few of my plants back to health...a real feat for a total rookie who completely lacks the green thumb gene, but slowly, I think I'll be able to save most of them! There's no shame in buying a replacement basil starter, right?!?!?! And I vow to take better care of them all this time around!!!
3 comments:
Wow, look at you with your little garden and HERBS!! I'm very impressed!! I am fighting to keep my inside plants alive! Nate gave them two weeks before they died. Even my own husband doesn't trust me with plants!
I'm excited to see how they turn out!
Please expect a call from me on tips for gardening in Texas. I'm going to start this weekend!
I've always wanted to do this, but I feel bad when I kill things. :) I'm so proud of you!
Post a Comment