Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Funny Story

So yesterday, I dropped my boys off at a friend's home while I ran down to the hospital. Soon after I left their house, I pulled up to a red light and noticed a homeless guy with a sign walking down the line of cars. His sign read that he was 'looking for work, had two kids and loved God'. It drives Steve crazy, but I always hand these guys a granola bar or a bottle of water or whatever I have. I won't give them money (which I'm sure they'd much prefer!) but what mom doesn't have an extra snack or two in their bag??? Steve just laughs at me and doesn't think they'd want random food handed to them, but their signs say that they want food or that their kids need food - I just can't ignore them! And really, my kids and I can do without a snack for an afternoon to help some hungry guy out. They're usually very appreciative and don't seem to really mind the lameness of my snack options.

Yesterday though, I smiled at the guy, all while shaking my head. I appreciated the fact that he had 2 kids at home...but I didn't think I had anything to eat with me. Then I realized, I had some fruit roll-ups in my bag...so I started rummaging through the bag trying to find them. I found them just as the light turned green, so I just handed them out the window and said "Here you go...this is all I have." He looked at me, took them, and then responded "I'd rather have your phone number!" I just laughed and shook my head and said something about how I hoped he enjoyed his fruit roll-ups!

I drove off, thinking that my new sunglasses must do a great job hiding the huge dark circles under my eyes from my lack of sleep and crazy schedule these days or my new set of wheels must be pretty alluring! But then I really got to thinking about it - really, is the best time to ask for a girl's number, the moment that you're accepting handouts and advertising the fact that you have no job, no money and have 2 kids to support?!?!?!? Sure guy...here's my digits. Give me a call if you can bum a quarter off the next couple of cars in line and track down a payphone sometime to call me! I can see how that relationship would be off to a great start!!! Sooooo funny!

When I told Steve about it, he laughed really hard and then wanted to know if it was the guy who does the hat tricks while asking for handouts??? Like it would have been okay if it were that guy...since he does really cool tricks!?!? :)

7 comments:

Dana said...

That's hilarious! =)

Staci Kramer said...

you still got it girl! I recently got asked out at church after teaching a gospel doctrine class. I don't wear my ring because it doesn't fit right now and my husband is working weekends at the PD so this guy sees me tote in my two kids and no ring and no man in sight and thought he was in luck. He religiously attended my lessons and participated with zeal and then got up the courage to ask me to dinner. I was flabbergasted. You get to the point of not seeing yourself in that attractive way and the dude was so embarrassed to find that I have a great hubby at home. The entire exchange was awkward at best, horrific at worst. At least I know that I could hold my own in a singles situation. Another time I was in my car a a dude pulled up beside be to check me out and to flirt. He saw a nice car and a nice face and a nice opportunity.... until I opened the door to reveal my nine month pregnant body. I'd kill to have a video of the change on his face. Funny

Tiffany W. said...

SO freakin' funny! i had a good laugh... thanks for sharing! :)

The Perry's said...

That is so funny!!

a. borealis said...

You're such a babe!

Once, Blaine handed a bottle of grape soda to a guy on our corner in Minneapolis on a sizzlin' hot summer day, and the guy goes, "What?! It's warm???" We laughed incredulously at that one for days. Sheesh.

The Silly Witch said...

How funny...as if he had a chance with you and your gorgeous smile...and your wonderful husband and children. At least he knows beauty when he sees it.

La Belle Belge said...

You still crack me up every time with your funny stories. You are so amazing. I'm glad things are going well with Olivia. I can't believe I am complaining about anything in my life right now (ie: read my last post). It was certainly a great reminder reading your blog. Luvs to all of you. (I stole that word from you ;-))