Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 5

Here are a few pics of Olivia from today...she's 5 days old now and doing great! I called the nurse around 4:00 this morning for an update and was too excited to sleep after that. They were putting in a picc line (a more semi-permanent IV) since she kept having troubles with her normal IV's. That procedure went well, so it was nice to hear that she hadn't spent the entire night in torture with the whole team hanging over her. They also took her completely off the oxygen and she was doing great with it...her breathing was completely normal just breathing in the normal oxygen from the atmosphere like any healthy baby!!! They've had her hooked up to the CPAP machine to keep her lungs open and working like they should, and while we were so grateful for that machine (and the fact that she didn't have to be on the ventilator at all), it was sooooo beyond exciting to know that it was off and she would have significantly less tubes and wires covering her cute body! Besides the first 5 minutes of her life, we haven't been able to see her whole face. She also did extra well with her feedings overnight, so it was just so nice to hear good news and know that she had a great night! It makes being apart from her a little easier to manage when the news is good!

We went down to the hospital this afternoon and we both got to hold her...usually only one of us gets a chance each day. But she snuggled right in and kept her temperature nice and toasty so both Steve and I got some good cuddle time! I think one of my favorite things in this whole experience is watching Steve hold her. He absolutely beams the entire time and you can just see that all is right with the world when she is in his arms. I knew from day one that he would be smitten with his little girl, but this dramatic entrance has sealed the deal. She is definitely a daddy's girl! :)



3 comments:

The Lowe Fam said...

She is so beautiful! I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so well! I'm so glad you both got to hold her! I am loving your blog updates...keep em' coming! Love, Deb

Dan Sudweeks said...

Hey. Thanks for the new pictures. She is so sweet. Steve I knew that you would be smitten with a daughter. There is just something special about a daddy and a daughter. We are smitten as well. Derek and I miss you guys from here in Washington.

Pete said...

Modern technology comes through. What a small baby! Glad to see she is doing well Smiths. Good job.