Saturday, July 25, 2009

balance

Well, I figured that it was time to make time for an update. That seems to be what life is all about right now...making time for all the things that we need to do. That balance is out there...it's got to be, right??? So hopefully we'll find it soon! Although, I think that balance is something that will change daily...or even hourly!!! But that's okay...how can it not when you are dealing with life on a normal basis...not just in crazy-mode like we are right now! :)


Olivia is doing amazing! She is absolutely perfect! (Can you tell, I'm slightly in love?!?!?) She is increasing her feedings and tolerating them well. She's 2 lbs 15 oz...so we're making progress! She's still on the CPAP, but doing great with it. They've mentioned trying to take her off again and see how she does with a few more days under her belt. So we'll see how that goes. They put a different type of CPAP machine on her this second time around which seems a whole lot more comfortable for her and didn't need to be adjusted because of it always falling out. It's held on by this mask thing that fits over her face...so she looks like a little scuba diver/super hero and I think it's adorable!


She was more awake yesterday than I've ever seen her...he eyes were wide open and she seemed to be taking everything in (as much as you can while laying in your little incubator box!) My mom was able to come up with us yesterday...so that was so fun to see her fall even more in love with her too. Olivia seemed to love having a new face to look at and you could see the bond form between them instantaneously! It was so fun!!!


The boys are doing great! That's been the other major balance thing in life right now. But having my mom here has been the greatest blessing. Their lives are still constant...just minus the mom and dad around the house! But they're having so much fun with Grandma that I don't think they mind! It's been nice to focus on them more though too...just to make sure they know that they are still loved as much as ever. All those extra things in life just don't seem as important right now...thus my early morning blogging - it's the only time I can justify spending more than a minute on the computer. I'd rather be with the boys while I'm home...not plugging away at all the extras!

We try and take some video at the hospital each day...so when we come home, we all snuggle up on the couch and watch Olivia, so hopefully they'll get to know her through that a bit and be able to be a part of all this in their own way. Garrett can come in to the NICU but poor Ethan is too little...so that's our way of sharing her with them. It's pretty cute though to see them soooo enraptured by the baby on tv. Ethan is always so concerned she cries and asks if she is sad. He can't quite say Olivia...which is the cutest thing...it's more like 'Yee Yaa' (I'll have to try and get a recording of him saying it and post it on here!) Garrett is enthralled by her size by way of diapers. The nurse gave him one of the teeny tiny diapers to take home and show his friends when he came up to see her and so that is how he tracks her progress. I brought home the next sized diaper for him yesterday and he was so excited by how much bigger it was! It's pretty funny!

We went out for burgers and ice cream last night...here's the boys being as goofy as ever. Yeah, I think they'll make it through all this okay!!!
So that's our life as of today! We just feel so blessed and loved, so thank you for all the prayers and thoughts sent our way from all of you. We could not make it without that extra help that is definitely carrying us through all this! We see the hand of the Lord in our lives so clearly right now, that it's hard not to be overwhelmed by the immense joy we feel even though things are so hard! The emotions and feelings are almost too crazy to describe...but even as everyday is challenging, it is also wonderful at the same time. We get to spend time with our three children and life is good!

13 comments:

Liz Morrill said...

Wow!! what an amazing week you've all had. Olivia is such a beautiful blessing!! congrats. My love and prayers are with your family.
Liz Morrill

Perry's said...

You are an amazing person Dani...I admire your strength and positive attitude (you never whine!). I am so happy all is well and Olivia is progressing. You guys are an incredible family. We love you!

Crystal said...

I wishe I was there to help out. We are praying that your little Olivia will continue to do well, and keep improving. We love you.

Tanya said...

Don't you just love those little diapers. They don't have to be that big, they only pee little drops anyway. I think it is funny how they weigh them everytime they change them...see what is going in, and what is coming out!! Keep one (a clean one) in a box. When she is larger you won't even believe how small she was!! They are literally the size of a pantyliner (BTW, I hate that word). Im still praying that everything continues to go well.

Christine said...

You are so strong and have such faith and courage. I love the picture of you and your sweet mother next to Olivia. Take care of yourself and try to get some rest. :-)

Natalie said...

Goodness gracious! I just clicked to check in on you and...wow. What an ordeal. You and Steve the two of the very best people I know. I love to see your smiling faces holding that sweet baby girl. I LOVE the name Olivia. Don't be surprised if we have one someday. :) What a little trooper. We will pray for her and you guys and know that even though it's hard that you're being watched over. Love ya!

Deanna said...

We are so glad that all is well. She is so sweet and your boys are just adorable. Keep going! We can't wait to meet your little one (in about 5 months, right? Ha!).

Asherbie said...

She is so precious!!! What a fighter! Glad to hear all is going well.

a. borealis said...

Your wee one is so precious. Just beautiful! It is fun to see your beautiful face, too - you look so happy, Danielle. Totally in love. I'm so glad you're mom was able to come, and the boys look thrilled with their ice cream (and for the photo op, LOL).

What a !SURPRISE! this all was...WOW. Crazy. Chalk it up to another "life experience", right? I'm SO glad that Olivia is doing well. What a blessing. Congratulations - and much happiness with your new little daughter. (Wahhhh...I want a girl!) Rest up, and enjoy these precious moments.

lisa said...

Wow, Danielle I had no idea that the baby had arrived! Congratulations on a darling girl! You will be in my prayers.

Rach_Spencer said...

Danielle you seem to be doing great with all of this! You're amazing! I went through the NICU experience for only a week...that was enough for me. It was so hard to juggle everything...the pumping, crazy just-had-a-baby-hormones, the two older kids, taking care of the healthy twin, exhaustion...Making sure my two older boys felt loved and taken care of seemed to be my biggest worry. They were fine though and I think I worried so much for nothing. I love that you show them movies when you come home, great idea!

Dana said...

I'm glad the boys are doing so well. They're such cuties! I'm glad you're doing well too. I'm sure life seems crazy but it sounds like you're balancing well. Blow Olivia a kiss for me please!

The Lowe Fam said...

You are doing so great. Every time I read about your life, it brings tears to my eyes. Even though life is crazy and hard right now, it's wonderful and so neat to see the blessings right in front of you! We love you and love to read and follow your blog and hear the wonderful progress. Keep hanging in there! We can't wait for the day you bring that sweet little bundle of joy home!!!