Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Testing the Waters...literally!

Yesterday I took my two younger kids with me to meet a couple of friends for lunch.  While we were there, Ethan announced that he had to use the restroom.  Me, being the really great mom that I am, assessed the situation - I had just gotten my food (10 minutes after everyone else) and was way behind...Olivia was restless and not wanting to sit in her high-chair and was threatening to jump out at any given chance...and we were sitting very close to the bathrooms.  So I send him in alone, telling him to make sure he washes his hands and to come right back out as soon as he was done.  Maybe not the best decision for a 4 year old, but a few minutes later, he comes out wiping his hands on his shorts...so all is well.

Fast forward enough time to devour a really yummy lunch and visit with amazing friends while trying to keep the kiddos entertained and somewhat quiet.  I had noticed two older couples sitting near-by, watching our kids.  In fact at one point, one of the cute older ladies with super white hair came up to me and told me that I should "treasure these times".  I assured her I was trying...but she just smiled knowingly and patted my arm as she walked by, like she totally understands how hard it is sometimes to treasure these moments!  :)  Bless her.  This cute group seemed entertained by all the crazy kids and not annoyed like some people could be, so it was a very nice lunch.  

As we were outside, ready to leave, this group followed us out and stopped to chat while one of the men went to pull up their car.  The other man walked up to me, and asked which kids were mine.  I pointed them out and then the guy moved in really close, patted my arm, and said that he had been in the restroom at the same time as Ethan.   He then proceeded to tell me his observations.  Ethan apparently had been standing at the urinal...doing his business.  Then the wheels in E's little head started spinning and the guy could tell that he was trying to make a decision.  After a few hesitations, Ethan decided to go for it and stuck his hand into the urinal to experience the running water first hand.  In the man's words, "He tested the water...not tasted mind you...but tested it." So I guess I should be grateful, it could have been worse!  He then proceeded to tell me that watching E had made his day and that he hadn't stopped laughing about it since.  :)  I joked with him and said that I needed to excuse myself and go over and sanitize my child's hands and that his daddy would be taking him on a tour of the men's room soon enough...and pointing out all the things that we don't touch in there!  :)  He just kept saying that it was the funniest thing and that he had truly enjoyed watching all the kids.  The cute white-haired woman then started in again on treasuring these moments.  I wonder if her little ones had ever tested the urinal water?!?!  

But, really I'm trying.  I'm trying to cherish these moments that are flying by much too quickly!  Some days are better than others...but I love it!  How blessed I am to be the mother of these three crazy and delightful (and apparently very germy) children!  :)

2 comments:

Hugs from mom said...

That is so funny. There are some things that are better left "unknown". You could have just been proud that he went to the bathroom all by himself.

The Silly Witch said...

That is hilarious! I'm glad there was someone willing to tell you what was going on. And now I think I will go put hand sanitizer on my shopping list because I've been sending Quinn into restrooms alone for quite some time now...