Thursday, June 23, 2011

Park Day

This morning we found ourselves with a little extra time on our hands - well, not really EXTRA time, but we used it as an excuse to head to the park!  The weather has been a bit cooler (meaning below 90 degrees at 9:00 in the morning!) so it seemed like the perfect day to fit in one more park adventure before I flat-out refuse to take my children to any sort of outdoor activity that does not involve a swimming pool.  :)

We pull up to the park and the kids notice that none of their friends are there.  Then, the complaining starts..."What are we gonna do????"..."Who am I gonna play with?"...blah, blah, blah.  My wonderful reply...'It's a park!  You'll find something to do!'  Sheesh!  I guess it's probably my fault...we usually do go to the park with all our friends because, let's face it...I enjoy it a lot more too when I have a friend to talk to while the kids play. :)  But anyway, we were on our own today for the most part!  

But, when all was said and done, we had a BLAST!  Garrett and I put the stop-watch function on his wristwatch to good use!  We had a full-on competition to see who could swing across the rings faster than the other person. Yep, haven't done that since 5th grade!!!  We timed Ethan until he reached his personal-best time in 'running-up-the-slide-as-fast-as-you-can' competition.  7 seconds...not bad for a little 4 year old!  Garrett and I even timed each other as we raced to see who could climb up and down every single one of the ladders on the play structure.  And let me just say that I WON...even though it was harder than I thought to contort my body into some of those tiny child-sized rope ladder entrances!!!  We probably would have seen who could jump farthest off the swing, we were on a roll...but Olivia was done with the heat (I guess it wasn't as cool as I had hoped!) and was quite vocal about it! And we had some friends show up and I didn't quite feel like showing off my jumping skills...or being shown-up by my 8 year old son!  :)  Or who knows...maybe they could have joined right in!?!?

So take a stop-watch with you the next time you go out!  Who knows what kind of fun you can have!!!

1 comment:

McFarland Family said...

that is so classic of kiddos!!
Love the blog. I can not wait to keep up with whats going on from Fort Worth:)
Lesley