Monday, December 15, 2008

Out of the blue...

Picture this:

Garrett is just getting home from school. We're sitting in the kitchen getting a snack...and this is how the conversation progresses...

G - Hey Mom?

Me - Yeah?

G - Do you have Kaitlyn's phone number?

Me - (completely dumbfounded!!!!) Um...Kaitlyn in your class??? Nope, I don't have her number.

G - Oh......Okay.......We should get it sometime.

Me - Uh...okay. Good idea. Why do you want to call Kaitlyn? (he's never asked to call ANYONE before...let alone a GIRL!!!)

G - Uh, I don't know. I just do.

Me - Oh...okay. (again...not much to say as I am still picking my jaw up off the counter!)

G - Mom? You know what...Kaitlyn never has anything healthy in her lunch. She only has treats!

Me - Hmmm...that's interesting. (while I am secretly wondering if he is going to try and convince me that I am the only mother out there who insists that her boy eats some sort of fruit or veggi with his noon meal??? I don't think so!!!)

G - (now deep in thought) I wonder what she's going to bring tomorrow?

So, I've completely convinced myself that he was only concerned for her health...that is the only reason my little boy is in any way interested in calling a girl. Either that or he was going to try and have her bring a second pop tart for him too! Hardly likely...but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Never mind the fact that this little girl is adorable! AAAHHHH...my life is over! I don't know if I'll be able to handle the rest of motherhood...I think I may have only been cut out for the 0 to 5 year old stages! Age 6 just might push me over the edge...how am I ever going to handle the teenage years?!?!

Maybe I can keep the girlfriends at bay if I keep posting goofy pictures on the blog...like this one, when he was running full speed towards me after a little face painting at the children's museum! I'll have to see what I can dig up next!!!

6 comments:

Dana said...

Wow. That is so funny! I didn't know it started in kindergarten! I have to have several talks each year with my 2nd graders about how boyfriends/girlfriends are things we don't have to worry about right now-- we're supposed to focus on reading! Not sure they buy that!

Rach_Spencer said...

Funny!! Benjamin plays with a girl everyday. She is his best friend at school right now....Hmmm....all the same thoughts have gone through my mind. Hopefully he'll figure out boys will be more fun in a year or so. Her and her twin have come over to play. They were out playing in the dirt piles so I figure all is well.

buchanancasa said...

I feel your pain!!! Eliza had a "boyfriend" for the first month or so of kindergarten. She would always say boyfriend and I'd say, "Oh yeah, your friend who is a boy?" and then she'd say boyfriend again, and I'd say what I had said, and then we'd ignore each other. Productive huh? Just kidding, it wasn't that bad. They are still good friends but the fascination has worn off, thank goodness. But here's a quote from that first month. "What was your favorite part of school today?" "Me and Cael staring at each other." Aaaahhhh!!!

Ryan said...

A man after my own heart. I remember walking home from kindergarten holding hands with a girl and Rich, Dave and Rob totally made fun of me as I walked to the front yard.

katyn said...

And so it begins. . . He's so cute, it'll be Kaitlyn (and every other girl) calling him in no time.

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness, that is too funny! I am totally scared for mine to grow up and start getting little crushes! I am perfectly fine with Tayla's ignorance to boys right now!! LOL Good luck with that!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!