Thursday, September 2, 2010

From Scratch...

I have to brag for just a second.  Reason one...because I actually accomplished something, from start to finish.  That doesn't happen a whole lot lately.  Reason two...because I made time to work on something and teach myself a few new tricks that I really wanted to learn.  Again, this doesn't happen too often as a mom!  And now that I sound totally selfish...I'll explain:

I built a bed!  I've been wanting to build a bed for about 3 years now.  I wanted to build one for Garrett, but then we got bunk beds.  I wanted to build one for Ethan...but then he moved into said bunk bed.  But we need a bed now...and not just the mattress and box springs on the metal frame, shoved against the wall.  I wanted the room to look more put together...so I built Ethan a bed.  Okay, enough bragging.  I could only do it for two reasons...I have a hubby who let me spend a weekend in the garage, and the amazing Ana at Knock-Off-Wood and her super easy and beautiful plans!  Thanks to the both of you!  :)

So here's the bed.


It's not perfect...but that's how I wanted it!


It's not built exactly to Ana's specs.  I changed it up a bit so I could slide food storage boxes underneath. Always looking for places to store that!  :)


AND, it doesn't match the abc's hanging above it...don't worry, I'll fix that soon!


I love it!  And I LOVED doing it!  And, I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED having a reason to use the new nail gun I got for my birthday and (still) hadn't tried out yet!  I really enjoyed having a project to work on all by myself...though I loved having Steve come help when I needed an extra set of hands!  We have so much fun doing things like this together!   Now, we just need a new project to work on...

13 comments:

Hugs from mom said...

Way to go! That's so awesome. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to make furniture. I'll have to look at that website.

Erin said...

Holy Cow Dani! It looks fantastic!

Asherbie said...

Looks great! Wow. You give me something to work towards!

Lindsey said...

I've got lots of projects in mind if you run out of ideas :) It looks awesome - seriously a nail gun for your birthday...Steve is a lucky guy!

a. borealis said...

Totally. tubular.

Seriously, what an accomplishment. Danielle the Woodworker. That is amazing! It looks so nice.

I've been thinking about a small bookshelf of late and this all means that I can . . . build it . . . myself?! Whoa. Mind blown.

Dana said...

I am SO impressed! I'm totally coming to you the next time we need a new piece of furniture! ;)

Deanna said...

This is so awesome! Good for you!

Stephani said...

Very impressive!

Tiffany W. said...

You are SO COOL!!! I can not belive the amazing talent you have the the patience it must take to learn to do something like that! Bet you didn't get a 'B' in woodshop, like me!? ;) (I mean, i was positive they actually gave out 'A's' to anyone who actually tried, didn't they?) You inspire me! It looks fantastic!! I'll let you build one for me anytime! ;)

Rach_Spencer said...

Nice job Danielle. Love it. I have big plans to build desks for the two older boys. Luckily Tanya lives close now and can help me. I love the knockoff wood site.

Alicia said...

I've got a new project for you...build me a bed! Just kidding. I love that you are motivated to do things like this. Admirable. :)

The Lowe Fam said...

I am so impressed! You guys are amazing. I love that you took matters into your own hands. Someday, once we get the right tools, I'd love to build a piece of furniture for the home. Can you send me the website of that woman who puts her plans on the site? I can remember what it is and we need a bookshelf in Braden's room....thinking of building it ourselves.
Thanks!

The Lowe Fam said...

nevermind....just found her website...right in front of my eyes....that's what happens when you read a post one day and comment about it weeks later without rereading the post. Have a great day!