Monday, November 16, 2009

heaven help us


Leaving a store, Ethan LOVES to open the automatic doors (meaning he wants to be the one to activate the sensor for the doors to fly open!). No problem...I usually grant him the pleasure, since I really don't get all that excited about the doors magically whooshing open in front of me. But today, Ethan decides that he wants to make the doors CLOSE, not just open. Hmmm...when you're standing there...those doors just won't close! Not that I could convince him of that! So, I have a bag in one hand, Olivia's carseat in the other hand, and I'm trying to coax my 'sweet' 2 year old out the door. HA! He decides right then and there that if he can't make those doors close, he's not going anywhere. He plops right down in the doorway, with poor shoppers having to dodge him, sits there and does his little "I'm not going anywhere till I get my way!" grunt. He even completes his stubborn look with a firm arm folding over his chest! (Seriously, where does he learn this?!?!?) I try to no avail to convince him that "if we go out the doors...they will close behind us!" Does he get up and follow me...nope, he proceeds to remove his shoes...just another gesture of his defiance! So I bend down, put his shoes on (luckily an easy slip-on style!), gather up my things (Ethan included) and rush out of the store...all before I double over laughing!

The best part of all this (during the nap that never happened), I was trying to answer a few emails...and saw an article online titled something like "Study shows personality traits in 3 year olds that lead to lives of criminal activity". SOOOOO not what I needed to see on a day where I feel like the world's worst mom and wondering where my son's crazy antics are coming from! aaaaahhhhhh....I love my life!

No comments: