Monday, May 24, 2010

bedtime conversations

The boys are all tucked in tonight...and supposedly falling asleep.  Though of course, I hear chatting going on for quite some time...

Me (trying a new angle of asking them to stop talking) - Hey boys...after this conversation...it's time to stop talking.  No more, okay?

Ethan - (not even pausing in his conversation to listen to me) still chatters along...

Garrett - (rolling over in bed) I'M NOT EVEN PART OF THIS CONVERSATION!!!  ETHAN JUST WON'T STOP TALKING!!!

Me - (thinking this is pretty normal and wondering how long it will be until Garrett refuses to let Ethan share his room) Okay, E...times up.  No more talking!

Ethan - (at least acknowledging me this time) Uh Mom?  Is there a Lightening McQueen Part 2?  

Me - (thinking where did that come from?!?!?)  Nope...just part one.  Go to sleep.

Ethan - I fink der is a part 2. (I think there is...)  Memmer dat one (remember that one) when Lightening drives on da dirt?

Me - (racking my brain) Nope E...still part one.  Good-night!


As I walk out of the room...I hear them both start in on the movie Cars and whether or not there is a part 2...and maybe Ethan is just thinking about part of the first movie...or maybe it's part of another cartoon...but what about Toy Story???  There's a new one of those coming out...hmmm...I wonder if we'll see that one?  No E...we can't see it tomorrow...it comes out in the summer.  No E...lightening McQueen isn't in that one.... 

I just shake my head and give up and try to convince myself of the benefits of picking my battles!

1 comment:

Tiffany W. said...

this makes me laugh because this goes on in our house every night! Eli is always talking and playing and as Connor yells at him to be quiet so he can sleep. Connor in fact has already started to beg me to make the guest bedroom his room and probably sleeps in there on average once a week already! Poor kid is tormented by his three year old little brother! :)